The purpose and main duty of this position is to provide secretarial services to the pastor, pastoral staff, and church leaders; to provide administrative assistance to the pastor; and to manage the church office in an efficient manner. This position serves as the public face of the church and is the first line of contact for members of the church, visitors, newcomers and vendors.
- Key Capabilities: Excellent oral and written communication; sound knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite including MS Publisher; strong multitasking skills; good decision-making abilities; ability to anticipate issues or problems; reliable; punctual; self-starter.
Relational Capacity:Approachable spirit and personality; superior interpersonal skills, conducts oneself with full integrity, honesty and maturity; demonstrates empathy, discretion and confidentially when dealing with sensitive personal information about church and community members; willingness to work as a team with others to accomplish church goals.
Current Areas of Responsibility
- Prepare and type various correspondence, handbooks, reminder postcards, minutes, flyers, schedules, etc.
- Order office, church and education supplies and materials as needed
- Coordinate and schedule church activities, meetings, events, weddings, etc., and work with custodian for room set-up
- Act as Membership Secretary for the Administrative Council by attending the bi-monthly meetings, record andmaintain membership records including recording weddings, births, deaths and baptisms
- Answer telephone and direct and/or coordinate appropriate response
- Make telephone calls on behalf of church and pastor, including service calls to plumbers, heating/cooling companies,special meetings, notices to newspapers, etc.
- Type, duplicate and collate weekly worship bulletins
- Type, edit, duplicate and prepare monthly church newsletter for mailing
- Design/duplicate flyers and promotional items for special events and programs
- Contact, coordinate and/or direct volunteer help on various projects
- Prepare reports for Church Conference and year-end report
- Prepare all bulk mailings to members of congregation
- Maintain flower calendar and order altar flowers weekly
- Manage distribution and control of building keys
- Prepare office budget for Finance Committee
- Research and purchase office equipment - working with Trustees and Business Manager
- Record weekly worship attendance
- Meet and direct appropriate response to visitors, salespersons, and those needing help
- Provide support for Small Beginnings Preschool
- Update church website – calendar & upcoming events
- Maintain church Social Media presence
- Professes Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior
- Commitment to personal spiritual growth
- Considers this position a ministry calling, not simply a job
- Models standards and expectations of Christian leadership, including positivity, professionalism, grace and forgiveness.
Reports to Lead Pastor and Staff Parish Relations Committee
Time Commitment - 40 hours per week
revious Experience Required
Job Posting: 03/02/18
Contact - Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements (all three are required) to:
Maumee UMC – Attn: Tim Ward
405 Sackett Street, Maumee, OH 43537
maumeeumc [at] gmail.com